Ya’ll remember that Davy Jones joint on The Brady Bunch? Yeah, that.* Ish used to annoy me to know end. But, I sang it all the time. I’m a weird creature. *as everyone nods in agreement, leaving not one person to dispute*
Four score and 50-lem years ago, I read a post on VSB about girl crushes. And I commented. So, following up on my post about women being more comfortable with expressing their attraction to the same sex while still comfortably maintaining their hetereosexual status, I decided to expand on the list I left on VSB with a little detail. I love details. Hope you do, too.
So, allow me to shamone with my List O’ Girl Crushes (and why):
– Nia Long. Love Jones (I’m pretty sure I was team “Larenz and Nia” for the longest time). The Best Man (That Stevie Wonder “As” scene, doe?!). Fresh Prince of Bel Air (Lisa was my favorite girlfriend of Will’s, of course. And this was when I realized that Nia had a comedic flair). To name a few. What I love about Nia other than her beauty is how approachable she seems. Pretty much every character she portrays is always one that could be “yo girl.” She always portrays a character that is so cool and just about every woman can see themselves hanging out with her. And beyond that, she seems that way in real life. From her interviews, she seems as cool as her characters. But yeah, this is a popular choice amongst the ladies. I think what makes her so likeable is that, yes, while she’s pretty, she seems down enough for that not to be a “hateable” factor amongst women. Ya know, since we do that a lot. Hate on purty womens. o______O
– Aaliyah. Maaaaaaaaan, don’t even get me started on my Aaliyah stan-dom. Oh wait, you already did. Or maybe I did. Either way. I was probably about 12 or 13 when I first “fell” for her. Hell, I thought I WAS her. This was about the age when I got my first perm, so you couldn’t tell me ISH when I had my wrap. I rocked my over-the-eye side-swoop, all Tommy Gear airthang (yup, was a Hilfiger stan as well), and showed off the belly button.** The way she was able to create that “sexy tomboy” (I was definitely a tomboy back in the day) look and the fluidity of her dance moves spoke to me in her soft, sweet voice.
– Sanaa Lathan. Similar to the reasons why I dig Nia. She seems so cool… so down-to-earth. And her characters are usually the “girl next door”, underdog, “guy friend won’t notice me as something more” type character that I loved and naturally… identified with. While she’s definitely beautiful, she has these rough undertones that makes her more relatable… to me, at least.
– Stacey Dash. I remember when I first saw Clueless, one of my first thoughts was, “Wow, she’s pretty.”*** And whattaya know, this bish has gotten more gorgeous with age. In a society that values youth (coughHollyweirdcough), she’s one lucky missy. Because while she’s always been a pretty woman (and young lady), I must say that she’s upgraded with age. I can say that with confidence. She’s not just drinking the fountain of youth, she’s drinking the fountain of “Upgrade Ya.”
– Kate Winslet. So, in Titanic, I thought she was a feisty, cute and curvy woman. I loved her character and always sensed this understated grace. Then she grew up. And I’ve definitely been paying attention. Yes, she lost weight and has more of a Hollywood-accepted figure, but I think that understated grace that I sensed earlier is in full bloom now. And that’s what makes me crush on her. She still seems like the spunky girl from earlier times, but has this elegance that can’t quite be matched. Plus, she was effing PERFECTION in The Reader.
– Freida Pinto. This chick is effing FLAWLESS to me. Like, in Slumdog Millionaire, we saw her character, Latika through Jamal’s eyes. So, the audience was sort of “forced” to see her as beautiful. But, step back for a minute and actually look at her. Bish is gaw-juss. And she kept reiterating that when she walked the many red carpets throughout the film’s success. She’s pretty much a goddess, IMO.
– Honorable and more recent mention not added in the previous list: Mila Kunis. Yup, Black Swan had everything to do with this addition. I’m sure when I saw her on That 70s Show years ago, I was like, “She cute!”, but never really noticed her since I didn’t look at that show. But, after seeing her recently, I’ve been intrigued. For one, she has one of the most expressive eyes I’ve seen in a while. I like expressive eyes. Like, Michael Jackson swag. Anyway, she hot.
Lady Pinchers, it’s your turn! What are your girl crushes? Do you share any with me? And for my male Pinchers, you can either be brave and list a dude that you may or may not have (at one time) thought was a good lookin’ chap, or you can just enjoy in the girl love. Do it big.
Love ya like Laurie Ann Gibson loves the art of the boom-kack,
P.S. And, yes, I added Prince in the previous list. Ish still applies.